Friday, March 9, 2012

Shanghai Style Steak and Noodles Recipe

I LOVE trying new things and adding great foods and recipes to my collection.  This week, I tried this recipe and it turned out quite nicely.  Not only did I enJOY it but dh did, as well.  He even asked for seconds or to be able to take some for lunch.  This means it was a HIT for sure!


Let me warn you, I changed it up a bit.  Here I share the recipe, as presented, as well as the changes I made to the recipe.


Shanghai-Style Steak and Noodles


Ingredients:

  • 8 oz whole-wheat spaghetti
  • 5 crowns broccoli, florets only
  • 1 juice orange, zested and juiced
  • 2 tbsp low-sodium soy sauce
  • 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes, plus addtl for garnish (I did not use red pepper flakes)
  • 1 tbsp ground ginger (this was way too much ginger for me, I used 1/4 tsp)
  • 1 tsp olive oil
  • 3/4 lb beef sirloin strips, cut into 1/4 inch-thick, 2 inch long pieces
  • 4 cloves garlic, chopped
  • 1/2 lb snow peas, rinsed well and trimmed
  • 2 tbsp of Agave(natural sweetener) (I added this to my recipe)
Instructions:
Fill a large pot halfway with water and bring to a boil.  Add spaghetti, reduce heat to medium-high and simmer for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally to prevent noodles from sticking.   Add broccoli and cook for 5 more minutes.  Drain and transfer to a large bowl.  Cover loosely to keep warm and set aside.

Meanwhile, in a small bowl, whisk orange zest and juice, soy sauce, pepper flakes, ginger and agave, if used and set aside.

In a large nonstick skillet, heat oil on medium for 1 minute.  Add beef and cook, turning occasionally, for 2 minutes.  Add garlic and saute, stirring occasionally, for 2 minutes.  Add peas and orange juice mixture and stir to coat.  Saute for 3 minutes, until beef is cooked through.

Add beef mixture to spaghetti mixture and toss to combine.  Divide among serving plates.  If desired, garnish with additional pepper flakes.


Day 9 Reason to Believe: Because you get to try new foods and recipes!  

Once upon a time eating healthy and trying to lose weight meant eating NOT so tasty foods and the choices were very limited.  Not so anymore.  There are tons of items at the market for you try, recipes galore and a huge variety of fruits and veggies, making healthy choices so much easier.

With the amount of choices available, there are NO excuses for not giving healthy eating a try!

What healthy alternative food item, meal, recipe will you try in the next 7 days???  

I think I'll go for trying something new each week!  Afterall, variety is the spice of life! 


No comments :

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...