Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Exercise makes you stronger

I remember thinking, "Oh my, I am so weak," the first time I stepped into a Barbell Strength Class.  Afterall, I had never lifted weights in my life.  I had been reading about the importance of strengthening your muscles and bones, which is essential to graceful aging.   You see I was turning 40 and I thought it was time to get myself together.

To tell you the truth, I was terrified.  I could not do one push up or even 1 tricep dip and for much of the class I simply did what I could which wasn't much and I felt a bit odd.  I recall turning to Robert and saying, "I have no muscles."  I felt very sad at the moment.  I thought, how could you let this happen to your body.  It was a rude awakening.  

That was almost 2 years ago.  I have watched many women come and go from each of my classes.  Some have even mentioned the class was too hard.   I decided at the beginning of this journey, I had to have a positive attitude no matter what.  It made no sense to lament what I didn't have and instead I focused on all the good each effort I made would do for me.  I focused on how exercise was going to make me stronger, leaner, more fit. How I would lessen the loose skin that surely will be left behind after losing 120lbs. I focused on the good that was sure to come.

Now, here I am, sharing this with you just after taking my barbell strength class, where I can do every push up and ever tricep dip.  And I am simply elated.

Yes, it does take time but it is worth the time and effort.  Today, I am stronger, leaner and happier!

Classygirl

No comments :

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...